Submitted by Tenille Sonnichsen, RD
through training and nutrition!
Start off the New Year with these tips:
- Focus on healthy carbohydrate sources to fuel your training, such as quinoa, oatmeal, potatoes, sweet potatoes, fruit, whole grain rice, barley, pasta, and whole grain bread and bagels.
- Replenish your fuel storage and build muscle by eating healthy carbohydrates and protein after training, such as a fruit smoothie with Greek yogurt or protein powder, grilled chicken on pasta, or a roast beef sandwich.
- Make sure you are eating enough to fuel your training and to recover properly. Without sufficient fuel, your body can’t prepare for the next training session and your performance will suffer.
- Hydration is key! Drink plenty of fluids before, during, and after training and competitions.
- Plan meals and snacks ahead of time. Don’t rely on concession stands and vending machines for healthy food options.
- During competition, eat the way you eat during training. Don’t introduce new foods or habits at competition time.
your training, use the contact form to get in touch with one of MSNN’s sport dietitians!